Frequently Asked Questions

Before starting the immigration process there are many doubts and questions that come to our mind. It is common to have questions about the administrative process of the consulting firm you are going to work with, about immigration issues, about the program that best fits your profile and about the benefits of immigrating to a country like Canada.

A permanent resident of Canada is a person who is authorized to live legally in any city in Canada. Permanent Resident status is obtained when someone immigrates to Canada under one of the federal government’s programs or the provincial programs.

A Permanent Resident of Canada enjoys the same rights as citizens:

Work in Canada
Freedom of expression and movement
Free health care system
Free basic and secondary education.
Financing of higher education.

The only right that Permanent Residents of Canada cannot practice is the right to vote. Only when they obtain Canadian citizenship do they acquire that right.

No. The person required to meet immigration requirements, depending on the program in which he or she is applying, is the “principal applicant. Family members of the principal applicant may be included in the application/form in order to benefit from it.

The family members are: Husband, wife, domestic partner and dependent children of their parents.

Permanent residence in Canada does not confer particular benefits on U.S. immigration. Canadian citizens may travel to the U.S. without a visa, and may seek employment in one-year increments under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

NAFTA provides a list of eligible classes of employment most of which are executive, managerial, professional or scientific in nature. The U.S. does not offer Canadians a fast track for permanent residence or employment outside the NAFTA list.

In general, you can apply for Canadian citizenship if you have maintained permanent residence in Canada for three of the four years preceding your application.

The processing times for each immigration case vary and depend on the type of visa you are applying for.

The interview varies depending on the category and on the type of visa you are applying for. Generally, applicants in the Professional/Qualified Worker category need an interview.

All family members (adults and children) must follow this requirement. Even if one of them does not intend to live in Canada.
The medical exams are carried out in the country and city where the immigration documents are being processed.

Yes. It is important that you are in good health if you want to live in Canada.

The possibility can be reduced to zero if the applicant:
  • The person has o had links with subversion, terrorism or espionage.
  • He/She has violated human rights (war crimes, massacres, torture)
  • The applicant has committed proven criminal acts.
  • The person belongs to a criminal organization.

If you got married in Canada, you can sponsor your partner and family members. If your same-sex marriage took place in a country that recognizes same-sex marriages, you can ask your partner. But, if got married in a country that does not recognize same-sex marriages, you cannot sponsor your partner. Canada recognizes Same-sex marriage (cohabitation) inside or outside the country

  •  A person under the age of 22, unmarried and not in a relationship.
  • A person who is 22 years old and a full-time student who started school before his/her 22nd birthday.
  • Over 22 years old, single or married who is a full-time student. Must have started school before age 22. This person must be financially dependent on his/her parents. (The same requirements apply to your spouse).
  • A 22 years of age or older who has been dependent on their parents before their 22nd birthday because of a disability

No. There are countries that do not need a visa to enter Canada. These citizens need an eTA.